… a sit down and a slug of water!
If anyone has read my previous blogs (hi!) you will remember me saying I wanted to put more running in my training.
Big words, but today I put my money where my mouth is and accepted an invitation to do some quality interval training with a colleague at work.
He set the session, so for once I can blame my dishevelled state on someone else.
It was a total killer, a show stopper, a jelly leg wobbler! This is how it went (after a warm up):
Total time: 24 minutes (not long? long enough!) . Repeat a total of 4 times. Equipment used: a treadmill
3 minutes quality:
- 1 minute at a good fast pace. Quite a bit faster than comfortable
- 30 seconds pick up the pace. Still not giving everything
- 30 seconds as fast as is sustainable over the time. Pretty much everything, but not so you are about to pass out
- 30 seconds back to the previous speed (which actually feels nice after the last)
- 30 seconds at the starting pace
3 minutes jogging recovery
Technically speeds should be set based on maximum heart rate. Since I don’t know mine, and the calculation used to estimate it is clearly off by at least 10bpm, I did it all based on perceived effort, which has apparently been shown to be pretty accurate!
Fantastic workout. Must appeal to the masochistic side of me.